Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Homemade Poptarts

My boys love to eat poptarts. If we have them in the house they will ask to have them for breakfast everyday. When I came across this recipe for homemade poptarts I knew I needed to make them right away. I am glad I did, my boys loved them.

Ingredients: 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 1 tsp sea salt 1 cup melted butter 1 cup plain yogurt 5 ounces of 100% fruit jelly or jam (any flavor) Begin by mixing the flour, salt, butter and yogurt. Knead the dough just a little bit to make it workable. Roll out the dough on a large well floured surface. Use a knife to cut the dough into the desired poptart size. Place about 1/2 tsp of jelly on 1/2 the dough rectangles. Spread the jelly around leaving the edges free. Stack a second dough rectangle on top and seal the edges with a fork. Lay the poptarts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Recipe makes around 15 poptarts depending on the size you cut them. You can make these ahead and pop them in the toaster for a quick breakfast.

No comments: